The First Birthday Session: More Than Just Pictures
When we take pictures of a child's first birthday, we're capturing more than just moments. It's like a special story we tell with our cameras.
Imagine the little one looking at the big birthday cake. They're curious and excited. When they taste the cake, you can see the happiness in their eyes. It's like they're telling us how much they love it. And their small hands reaching out are like a hug in a picture.
But there's something deeper too. The pictures show how the child has grown in the first year. They show the love and care parents give. It's the nights when parents stay awake to take care of them, the songs they sing to make them sleep, and all the cuddles they share.
Taking pictures on the first birthday isn't just about what we see. It's about what we feel. It's about the start of a new part of their life. When we look at these pictures in the future, they remind us of the good times, the love, and the amazing journey we're on.
So remember, the first birthday pictures are more than just photos. They're like a special way of showing how much we love and enjoy watching the child grow, one picture at a time.
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to book your first birthday session outdoors or in studio.
Tips for parents to ensure a successful cake smash session:
Choose the right time: Schedule the cake smash session when your child is rested and in a good mood. Avoid scheduling it during nap time or when they might be hungry.
Get a cake: Order or bake a cake specifically for the session. Opt for a smaller cake with a soft and easily smashable texture. I recommend a two or three-tiered 6" inch vanilla cake (not chocolate!). The icing should be white or pastels as bright/dark colors tend to stain skin and clothing. Be sure to avoid any potential allergens if your child has allergies.
Dress them up: Choose an outfit that you don't mind getting messy. Cute and colorful outfits often work well. You can also consider using a special birthday outfit or a diaper cover for a more festive look.
Enjoy the process: Remember that the cake smash session is meant to be a joyful and fun experience. Don't worry too much about perfection or a perfectly clean child. Embrace the mess and the laughter.
By following these tips, you can help create a memorable cake smash session that captures the joy and excitement of your child's first birthday celebration.
Tips for a successful first birthday session:
1. Plan in advance: Start planning the session well ahead of time to ensure you have enough time to book a photographer, select a location, and make any necessary arrangements.
2. Choose the right photographer: Look for a photographer who specializes in family or child photography and has experience with first birthday sessions. Review their portfolio to ensure their style aligns with your vision.
3. Select a meaningful location: Consider choosing a location that holds significance for your family or that reflects the theme or style you have in mind. It could be your home, a park, a studio, or any other place that creates a beautiful backdrop for the photos.
4. Set the right time: Schedule the session during a time when your child is typically well-rested and in a good mood. This will increase the chances of capturing happy and natural expressions.
5. Coordinate outfits: Plan outfits for the family members that complement each other and the overall theme or color scheme of the session. Avoid overwhelming patterns or logos that may distract from the focus on the child.
6. Prepare props and decorations: If you want to incorporate props or decorations, gather them in advance. This could include balloons, a cake for smashing, toys, or any other items that reflect your desired theme or aesthetic.
7. Be flexible and patient: Babies can be unpredictable, so be prepared to go with the flow during the session. Allow time for breaks, feedings, or diaper changes as needed. Patience and a relaxed attitude will help create a positive and enjoyable atmosphere.
8. Interact and engage with your child: During the session, interact with your child, play with them, and make them feel comfortable. This will help capture genuine expressions and create joyful moments.
9. Capture candid moments: While posed shots are lovely, candid moments often tell a more authentic story. Let the photographer capture spontaneous interactions and emotions between family members and the birthday child.
10. Enjoy the experience: Remember that the session is not just about getting perfect photos but also about celebrating your child’s milestone and enjoying precious family time. Relax, have fun, and cherish the moments together.
By considering these tips, you can help ensure a successful first birthday session that captures beautiful memories of your child’s special milestone and your family’s love and togetherness.
Please email me at email@example.com if you have any questions.
HOW YOU PLAN YOUR CAKE SMASH SESSION
Scheduling: If you’d like to use your portraits to display at baby’s birthday party I recommend having your session take place when baby is 11 months old. This will give you time to make prints and order any products that you’d like to display.
Avoid getting a chocolate cake. I also suggest avoiding cakes with a lot of red icing. My clients usually order cakes form @justbaked_la.
Be prepared to participate! Some babies don’t quite get the hang of the smash right away so you may need to get your hands into the cake to help them get started.
This is going to be messy. Please bring an extra outfit for baby and possibly one for yourself!
It was great seeing this family again. I photographed baby Halo's newborn session in the comfort of her home. This time for her first birthday and cake smash session parents chose a beautiful cactus garden in Beverly Hills, CA.
Callen's First Birthday and Cake Smash Photo Session in Santa Clarita, CA. / Santa Clarita Baby. Photographer
There is no better way to celebrate your baby's first birthday than with custom cake smash pictures. These sessions provide parents with a keepsake of their baby's first taste of cake. And they are so much fun!