When planning your wardrobe for a maternity session, here are some tips to consider:
Remember, the most important thing is for you to feel comfortable and confident in what you wear. Choose outfits that reflect your personal style and make you feel beautiful as you celebrate this special time in your life.
1. Embrace your bump: Choose clothing that accentuates your baby bump and celebrates your pregnancy. Opt for fitted or empire-waist dresses, tops, or shirts that highlight your belly.
2. Flowing and comfortable fabrics: Select fabrics that drape nicely and provide comfort. Flowing dresses, skirts, or tops made of chiffon, jersey, or cotton blends can be flattering and easy to move in.
3. Solid colors and subtle patterns: Solid colors can create a timeless and elegant look, while subtle patterns like delicate florals or soft stripes can add visual interest without overwhelming the focus on your bump.
4. Avoid overly busy patterns or large logos: These can distract from the main subject, which is your beautiful baby bump. Choose simpler designs that complement your shape.
5. Neutral or pastel tones: Soft, neutral colors like creams, grays, blush pinks, or pastels can create a serene and ethereal vibe. White is perfect too. They also tend to photograph well and complement various backgrounds.
6. Consider coordinating with your partner: If your partner will be part of the session, aim for outfits that complement each other. Matching colors or coordinating tones can create a cohesive and harmonious look.
7. Accessorize thoughtfully: Add some flair with accessories like belts, scarves, or statement jewelry. These can help add personality and style to your outfit while still keeping the focus on your bump.
8. Comfortable shoes: Opt for comfortable shoes, as you may be standing or moving around during the session. Flats, low heels, or even barefoot shots can be great options.
Why You Should Book A Maternity Session:
Nine months go by so fast, trust me. I know this from my own experience. Let me convince you why you need this session done.
You will want to look back on yourself carrying your blessing. Your body is so strong and accomplished a lot in a short amount of time.
Your children will ask to see these photographs of your pregnancy with them. When you show them,
watch the sweet expressions come across their faces.
Spoil yourself. You look wonderful. Have your hair and makeup done and feel how beautiful being pregnant really is. Your body is telling a story, and you should capture it.
You might be on the fence about booking a session. It might be the last thing on your mind right now with preparing for a big arrival. I get it, I really do. You will want to remember this beautiful time in your life.
Miriam wanted natural and relaxing photos for her maternity session. We were able to achieve this. I also love that these photos are so light and airy.
Tips for Preparing for Your Maternity Session:
Eat a well balanced meal & hydrate
Oil/ lotion/ moisturize/ face mask
Elevate feet- compression socks
Have neutral color nails
Get makeup done
One of my favorite parts of being a photographer is working with clients time and time again. I love documenting many special moments for them. I've photographed this family's first maternity session, first baby newborn session, and now their second maternity session.
I’ve been so fortunate to meet and photograph amazing people. I met Andy and her husband when she was pregnant with her first daughter. I photographed newborn Maisy then it was her first year session. Now it was time for a second round. I can’t wait to meet your second daughter, Andy!
What to wear for maternity session?
For your maternity photo session wear comfortable shoes, and if you would like to wear heels for any part of the session then bring them along in a bag. I can recommend to wear a long, clingy dress in a solid color but don’t be afraid to use patterns as well! You should wear clothes that make you feel beautiful and show off your belly. Snug (but not too tight!) outfits are better than loose ones. If the outfit is too loose, your belly won’t be well defined and the photos will be less flattering.
For Dad-to-Be and/or siblings, coordinate your wardrobe instead of matching. Selecting complimentary colors is a great way to go. Neutral shades in muted tones photograph beautifully for a timeless look. Or think warm or cool tones in varying shades of the same color. If you love patterns, be sure they complement your overall color scheme and style.
Olga and Yura are such a loving and sweet couple. I was lucky to meet and photograph them at the beautiful El Matador beach in Malibu. I arrived 40 minutes before the photo session to observe the location. It was very crowded with vacationers and photographers. After checking the light and planning the session five minutes before Olga and Yura came, I simply sat on a sand with my eyes closed and meditated. I really wanted this crowd to disappear so I could be able to use every beautiful spots of this beach. It did not actually happen, but it happened in my mind. The crowds do not bother me anymore and we had a wonderful session that was full of ideas and excitement.
The Tenderness / Maternity Photo Session on the Beach: Yelena + Michael + Arseniy / Santa Clarita, CA Family Photographer
The wind was blowing Lena's curly hair and it was so chilly that she could only able to take her jacket off for just a minute for each shot. This maternity photo session on the Ventura beach was an adventure. It was a photo shoot in extreme weather contritions. It looks like I am becoming a specialist in photographing in the wind.
As we all know, Mom is the only one that arranges the session and the one that really wants to be there. But Michael and Arseniy really surprised me. They broke this stereotype. These boys were extremely cooperative and fun to work with.
Despite the wind and cold this session was filled with love and tenderness.